The objective of the ‘Participa Méliès’ competition, which was created as part of the temporary exhibition ‘Georges Méliès. La magia del cine’ (Georges Méliès – The Magic of Cinema) that travelled to the various CaixaForum sites, was to award prizes for audiovisual creativity to schools and the general public. The participation criteria for this short film competition were: have a device to record a video, be inspired by Méliès’s work, include at least one of his famous effects, a touch of creativity and the desire to take part for the fun of it.
Since the first editions of the competition, the organisers have sought to increase participation by using digital technologies to reach new segments of the public. Our work started with an audit of the promotional elements used so far, focusing on the website as the centre of communication and participation.
We used the audit conclusions to conceptualise and develop a new website oriented to fostering participation, generating SEO traffic, lending visibility to the jury and the winners and enabling it to be accessed with the main device used by the target audience: the smartphone.
The main challenges posed by the project were:
- Need to reach new segments of the public through the implementation of a digital strategy oriented to the targets.
- Increase participation in the competition without adversely affecting the quality of the participating videos.
- Achieve awareness and web traffic throughout the entire year, not just at key moments of the competition.
We are responsible for the project’s digital strategy and for developing its various tactics:
- Natural positioning in search engines and editorial planning.
- Promotion strategy and monitoring of the results of the campaigns implemented by a media agency.
- Analysis of the results of the project with reports that include improvement recommendations in various areas: the competition schedule, participation incentives, campaigns in search engines and social media, newsletters, etc.
Since the website change and the implementation of the new strategy, the competition has tripled its participation, which is no longer linked to the itinerancy of the exhibition.